111

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Should I take a job for the same amount just because it's a closer commute?

Esmeralda Pigram: I get the distinct impression that you wouldn't like any place you worked.That said, there can certainly be advantages to a lateral move that might not pay more but offers something like a shorter commute. I once had a job for which I had a very long commute. I actually would have taken a pay cut to be closer to home, not least because the commute was somewhat expensive.Renovations won't last forever and could end up making the place more pleasant. You don't say whether "changing everything" refers to more than renovations, but if it does, and if you think some of those changes might make your job a problem, then I'd say that cutting down on a half-hour commute might not be worth it. Only you can decide that. Half an hour isn't really that bad.What, besides a shorter commute, might make this second job attractive, if anything at all? If there's nothing, I'm not sure there's any point to changing jobs....Show more

Davina David: I'd take the clo! ser commute. It would give you back 30 mins a day at least. And the gas expense. And once they finish the reno...the place will be nice. It will have a 'new-ish' feel.

Leora Klingelhoets: I'd take the closer job. You may not be getting a pay rise but there will be more money in your pocket as you won't spend so much travel costs. You also will have more time to yourself in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment